Saturday, March 17, 2012

Review: Lord of Emperors


Lord of Emperors
Lord of Emperors by Guy Gavriel Kay

My rating: 5 of 5 stars



This is quite an accomplishment; rich and detailed, political and philosophical - a character's take near the end over what the 'Lord of Emperors' actually *means* is fascinating - from cover to cover.

While I can see how some readers might feel alienated by the amount of attention given to lyrical descriptions and character studies, that's something that never bothered me; in fact the writer's nostalgic eye on events that shook his book's world blended perfectly well with my own tastes.

The ending is bittersweet as well. It epitomizes what seems to be Kay's favorite plot direction - for everything a price, and grand things are the costlier - but it also makes sense. It's a work full of intrigue and colorful, three dimensional characters that should be read.



View all my reviews

No comments: